Adelaide Oval - 21st January 2016
- The first BBL05 Semi-Final sees the table-topping Strikers take on the Thunder, who made 202 to defeat the Sixers and claim the final play-off spot.
- The Adelaide Oval has been quite a high-scoring historically, with three of the four games so far in BBL05 seeing over 170 runs scored in the first innings. This is also reflected in the fact that chasing sides tend to struggle here, with 41% of sides batting second winning the game.
- Looking at the BBL05 Team Stats page, the Thunder have, despite conceding the second lowest mean runs when bowling first, won just one of their three chases in BBL05, where the Strikers have won all four of theirs. These sides are both in the top three for boundaries scored when batting first, so we could see a high-scoring encounter here.
- The Strikers had a similar season in BBL04, topping the group with six wins, but fell apart in the semi, being bowled out for less than 100 chasing 180+ against the Sixers. They're priced around 1.75 here to beat the Thunder, and I can't see much value in this, although I do slightly favour them to win.
- After both missing the final group games, both sides overseas players are set to return here, with Mahela Jayawardene and Jacques Kalllis back to open the batting for both sides. These two have had contrasting form during BBL05, with Kallis making just one score greater than 16, where Jayawardene has had just two scores under 20. With this in mind, the Batsman Matchbet between the two with Ladbrokes gives Jayawardene a -2.5 run handicap. This is priced as a coin-toss, and I'll have to side with the Sri Lankan here. Opposing Kallis this BBL has been a consistent moneymaker, and so I'm happy to continue this here.
Back Mahela Jayawardene to score 3 or more runs more than Jacques Kallis at 1.83 with Ladbrokes