Christchurch - 19-23rd February 2016
- New Zealand will be hoping to make amends for defeat against Australia in the first Test, with their first innings limp setting the tone for the game. This low-scoring first innings was discussed in my preview of this game and I hope you followed this and made plenty.
- It was clear from this match that these sides have one eye on the the upcoming T20 World Cup. A similar performance here will give draw layers some confidence.
- There has only been one Test here previously, the 2014 Boxing day encounter with Sri Lanka. This Test saw a big first innings lead for New Zealand, making 441 inside 86 overs and then bowling Sri Lanka out for 138. Despite a more spirited second innings from the visitors, making 407, New Zealand wrapped up the win comfortably on the fourth day.
- New Zealand will be missing Doug Bracewell for this Test, with Matt Henry and Neil Wagner vying to replace him. The visitors are without Peter Siddle, who suffered from back spasms during the first Test, and will be replaced by James Pattinson.
- Australia are favourites for this Test, priced around evens in early trading, with New Zealand at 3.05 and the draw around 6. With two sides playing an aggressive brand of cricket, opposing the draw from the off should pay off in the long-term. A high-scoring first innings could see the draw price come in, and so saving some ammo for trading later in the game is advisable if you're looking to lay the draw.
- A high scoring encounter is likely here, with both sides having strong batting line ups, and 400 scored by both teams in the previous test here. Buying innings runs for Australia's first innings should be a winning strategy, as the New Zealand bowlers have caused them very few problems so far this season.
- Usman Khawaja has been scoring runs for run in all forms of the game this winter, and on a pitch that should have plenty of runs in it, the 32.5 line offered on him should be covered comfortably. Given the large potential upside, buying his runs on the spread would also be a good play here.
Lay the Draw on the Betfair Exchange on days 2 and 3
Back Usman Khawaja to score over 32.5 runs in Australia's first innings at 1.83 with Ladbrokes