The WACA - 16th January 2016
- After an embarrassing defeat at home to the Heat, the Stars have left themselves in a situation where they must beat the Scorchers to secure a spot in the finals. Should they lose, they are relying on both the Thunder and the Renegades losing to make it through.
- The Scorchers will be missing Jason Behrendorff through injury, although his absence is a precaution rather than a long-term issue, and he is likely to be back for the finals. The Stars are missing a host of players to international duty, particularly in their bowling line-up, and with the quality in the Scorchers batting, could pay the price here.
- The WACA is a ground where chasing sides have struggled, winning less than 40% of all games here. We have, however, seen some high totals chased down, with two successful chases of more than 180 runs.
- From the BBL05 Team Stats Page, we can see that the Stars prefer to bat first, having chosen to field in all six of their games. The Scorchers, when bowling first, have conceded on average the fewest runs of all BBL05 sides at just 143. Given the strength of this bowling line-up, if the Stars choose to chase a total with their weakened batting they could struggle.
- With the Stars having such a weakened bowling line-up, missing Faulkner, Boland and Hastings, I have to be looking at backing Perth's batsmen here. Michael Carberry has not played a great deal so far in BBL05, but made 62 in his last game against a similarly poor bowling line-up, and his early line here seems 4-5 runs too low for me. Opener Michael Klinger has hit a run of slightly poor form having got off to a flyer early in the tournament. I'll be backing him to regain that form against what is the poorest bowling unit he'll face in BBL05.
Back Michael Carberry to score over 19.5 runs at 1.83 with Ladbrokes
Back Michael Klinger to score over 23.5 runs at 1.83 with Ladbrokes